Wednesday 10 April 2013

Editing Down Process ( III ) : 14 - 10 Finals

All of these Images on this Post are Mobile Phone images of myself hand rejecting small cheap Prints from Boots to help with the editing down process.

So I went to Boots to get some small prints printed to actually check if the editing on the images looked like it had been done correctly. Because I was working with a plain black background, I was unsure if the editing over the black could be seen or not, I was also a bit worried that you could see editing marks on the background - so wanted to print some to see if it was plain black ... and it was.

The Reason I'm cutting down from 14 to 10
Even though our brief for this module says that we should have 10 - 20 exhibition standard prints, doesn't mean that I have to stick to a certain number of images that is mentioned.  Cutting down from 25 images was a good idea and the 14 seems ok but the real reason is thinking about printing purposes. I know that I am happy with the final 14 and would quite happily keep the set as 14 but, One, I said on the post before that I have four reds and only two blues and want to make it equal and cut out two reds, and Two, because the "exhibition standard" prints that I want to get can work out quite expensive, so to make it that little bit cheaper for me, I have decided that I only want 10 final images.

I laid out all of the small prints on the floor so that I could see them from a distance.  Just to note - these prints here are NOT the finals, they are cheap small prints for selection process only. 
I have made a timeline of how I ended up rejecting the 4 images.  The top image is of the 14 finals I had on the post before, and I made small Red Crosses to make it easier to see what I am rejecting.
The 14 Images to Begin with
Red Cross to mark Rejected Photo
These two phone pics above and below show myself putting the crosses on the images that i am rejecting.  I had help from my family who were also giving critique on what ones should be eliminated and which ones should stay.  I only have to rid of 4 images but it's a lot harder when they are all images I like and would like to keep.
Editing Down Process
Red Crosses mark Rejected Photos
The two phone images above and below this piece of text show what images I have rejected.  I have then moved the four rejected images to one end and left a gap on the floor between the final 10 and the the rejected 4.  Having the images in hand is a great way of cutting out, eliminating and rejecting images for any project.  It is always nice to lay them all out and step right back so you can see which ones do not look right.
Before & After - 14 Images - 10 Images
The Final Chosen 10
So this last image shows the final 10 that i have chosen for this module and these 10 around in my final series.  I think that I have chosen well and the rejection and selection process has been a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment