Thursday 28 March 2013

My 'Pole Motion' Test Shoots

I have already posted a small number of test shoots but for the two different types of LED lights only.  All of these images below and on this post are my test shoots for my motion idea and long exposure movements round the pole.  I have used my sister and Dad for these tests, which was quite a laugh as neither of them know anything about Pole fitness/dancing. Both of them were really helpful and tried out everything I asked them too.

I am aiming to produce creative imagery of body movements around the pole.  I want them to look different to normal long exposure images and have a sense of mystery about them to certain viewers.
Some people would not know how they were taken or how the moves are created.  The hardest thing about doing a test shoot before using my model Claire, is that, I can't actually picture what it will look like properly.  I wont be able to picture the moves properly until I have her in the studio and I try out different moves off the ground.

So these tests were really just see possible lighting situations and how I am going to positions my model for the actual shoot.  I wanted by the end of this test shoot session to know where my light source will go and what camera setting to have, I also wanted to see what exposure time would be best and what shows movements show up the most with each exposure.

The first few images at the top, I had on the wrong lighting setting on the camera.  It was set on cloudy so was truing the skin colour and movements a bright orangey red, but I changed this to Tungsten and the colour was correct. These show movement tests and some with the LED's as well.


Like I mentioned above, I have used my dad and sister for these test so its hard to actually picture what the images will turn out like when i have Claire actually performing the moves on the pole.  But the LED's lights work in the settings I have so far, and the body movements and motion look how I want them too.  I was aiming to have bright movements as well as faded out and blurred movements. My dad was quite funny to see spinning around the pole as a test, but the images above do show what I am looking for in the movement side of things, but I think the test shots below have turned out a bit better.  The colour of the shorts my sister is wearing stand out quite a lot which is actually quite nice, this make me want to include some colour in my images with my model.


Most of the images above here, show my sister standing quite still in front of the pole and her moving her arms up and down by her sides.  This creates almost a circles of light around her body just from the movements of her arms, things like this will be interesting to capture. Its so simple to capture interesting shapes and body movements in a certain amount of time.  I am using around 3 seconds on all of these images so far and within that time you can move all limbs to make all kinds of different shapes.
Using the LED lights will only be a possible at the moment but well worth trying out, because the amounts of fun and creative patterns and lines I could make with the LED lights could have some amazing outcomes.  I am happy with these test shoots, happy with the lighting set up and the images have come out quite well and show a range of movement which is exactly what I was going for.  Now I just need to see what it would be like at the actual shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment