Tuesday 12 March 2013

Millie Robson - Fairy Lights Pole

I found this series of images last minute and had to include them - I think they look fantastic!!
I've always said to myself to use fairy lights with subjects in the studio, I always imagined using them for a couple portrait.  But this is an even better idea and it works so well.  If I had more time for this shoot now, I would definitely try and use fairy lights with Claire in my studio for the long exposure shoot.

These images are obviously taken still images but with the lights wrapped round as the only light source which is great, but I'm imagining if I used theses same lights but for long exposures, it would look amazing, there would be so many different light lines around the pole. This is definitely something I can work from and try out after my shoots.  I love the pink and yellows in all of these.


The lighting I think is what make the images so good for me.  The bright pink shine from the background and the way the fairy lights stand out against the quite shadowy dancer, look great.  I also think that if I could have created images like these they would look great blew up big in an exhibition, especially with a bright background colour.  It really does fit into my ideas well, and the pole moves are great too.  The way the dancer is positioned on the pole looks very elegant in every image. 


I like how the lights are bundled and wrapped around her ankles, and then spread out all over her body in two of them.  It really shows the difference.  The space in the studio must be quite big to create these images, there looks as if the pole is quite high with high ceilings, my studio is smaller than this so I would be limited, but I could still have some good results if I considered using fairy lights, there so many different colours too.  I had such hard thoughts of not being able to find any LED light to use and if I can't then I may try this idea.


The images are stunning and very different, Once the studio is set, I can see the lighting being very simple as well as the camera settings and exposure.  The only light source is the fairy lights.  This looks very creative for something that could be very simple to set up.



I would say I had a favourite image from this series if I did, but I think that they are all equally good as each other.  I just need to crack on with finding a LED light source and working out studio set ups in my studio and lighting for the long exposures.  Hopefully my images will look creative and different like these do.


No comments:

Post a Comment