Wednesday 6 March 2013

John Spence : Pole Lights

Now that I have decided to shoot Pole dance instead of normal dance, I thought that i'd start looking for pole photography shoots.  I have included many of my model Claire in the previous post and they will each give me ideas for what positions and moves to have her in, so will be good to look at but I want to find some creative photography pole shoots.

John Spence is a professional Fashion/Beauty/Portrait and Dance photographer who shoots many different subjects, but whilst looking at different ideas for dance I came across his website with a dance section.  There were quite a few different pole photography photos but then a set of four images that stood out to me straight away!  Here are the four Images.  They are shot on a black background like I wanted to shoot mine and are also perfect for what I am looking for.

These images are Long Exposures with Light Painting ! Something I also had considered when I though of the idea of pole dancing.  These images are so creative and effective.  I think they look stunning and really stand out as something different.
At first I was not sure about how the images were taken and what was used. But after a short while I realised the the LED light must have been attached to the pole dancers body to create the lines around the pole in the circles.  I would love to try this out as it is relatively simple once lighting is correct.  I think that this would look great as a final project and that I could make them creative by using different shapes around the pole with her body movements. The lighting itself for these images is quite dark, This would be possible on a black background as long as the flooring was ok.  I am a bit confused as to how the colour of the actual dancer (what you can see of her through the long exposure) is in black and white.  I would like this effect but cannot see how it is possible yet - all I can do is wait till I try out a shoot.
The top images looks fantastic how the LED lights are going right around the pole the whole length of the pole. There are all different swirls of the lines around and around, so the LED's must be attached to the dancers hands and feet.  LED's is something I will have to think about and see if I could find a way to create this effect.  The image above this piece of text also looks great, the smallest circles in the middle are attached to her hands, the slightly bigger circles must be attached to her shoulders, one on her body and then the big circle going all the way round the outside edge must have the LED;s attached to her feet - its such a great idea and makes me really wanna try it out.
These two images here again look great - I actually love these four images as they are different, creative and probably the best images of pole dance with painting with light that I have seen.  Painting with light is something I have always been interested in, There is so much that one could do in the air and possibilities are endless.  But the circles that are so bright compared to the lighting and the dancer really stand out. The colour of the light orangey/yellow is a good colour to use as it gives the images warmth, but I would like to use a brighter colour if I get the chance.
Hopefully I am able to find something to use to attach LED light to, so that I can try out these and see if I too can come up with some great painting with light around a pole.  I will use the help of my dad as he is very good at working out things like this =)
But so far, I have my model ready to come in for shoots, I just need to work out exactly how I will shoot, and how I can create similar lighting and have an all black background.

No comments:

Post a Comment