Friday 1 March 2013

My Dancer/s - My Shoots

In my first copy Proposal I was planning to shoot some still Dance Portraits, since then I have moved on from Nude photography but looked into it to discover more ideas about the shapes of the body as a creative Nude and how I can include some of them with dance.  I then decided not to do nude at all but dance portraits to show body movements.  I knew for my mixed media module I was working with the body as well and used slow motion filming to show up the body moving even more.  But stuck with the theme of dance and had to look for possible dancers for these images and for my film.

I asked one of my friends who I know goes to a dance company who seemed more than happy to help me out for this University project. She goes to a dance group based in Dartford where I live called 'Reynolds'.  This seemed great, I had some dancers willing to be models for me in a studio.

Here are some of the girls from the dance group.  They are a contemporary dance group but also put on shows for tap dance, hip hop, ballet, modern, and contemporary. This would be great as I know I would definitely have a wide range of movements included and possible for working with interesting shapes in motion. The two Images below show the dancer Isabelle Pierce, who is the dancer I was going to use as my main model. 

 v   v   v
 
The Problem
The problem I faced with these set of dancers and my ideas of body movements and motion, were that I just simply didn't really know a lot about dance.  I have never been in a contemporary dance group before and wouldn't know what to say to them or what to ask them to do.  I would feel as if I had used these models and dancers, I would have got them to the studio and then not known what to say to them of what to do, and therefore would be stuck for creating interesting body movements. 
If I had a huge professional studio of my own I would be able to let these dancers perform some big leaps and spins, but I do not have the room for this to happen in the studio that I have. So this typr of dance seems a little harder now.  The long exposures would have worked as I would used the similar technique to Bill Wadman's project, and I could create wiggly, circle and strange movements with the body. 
But .......... I think I have a much better Idea !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment