Thursday 7 March 2013

Howard Sandler - Light Painting Pole

After the pole photos on the post before about the light painting with long exposures, it really got me thinking about how possible it is to do.  I also found this short series by a photographer called Howard Sandler.  He has taken images of a pole dancer and has also used light painting and strobes .  He has placed his images onto a website that also shows how he took the images.


The images above shows the short series on his website along with some normal pole photos without any light painting.  I think they are creative and still look good but just not as good as the post before of John Spence's light painting pole images.  All these images were taken with a Nikon D90.  As written on the image, this top image won 2nd prize in a print category of a photo competition.  Probably because it was something different and strange. I like that the photographer has shown how the image was taken, because sometimes it gives me some sort of guidelines to go along to then work out my own unique ideas.




This photographer has used glow wristbands as the light painting source, you can tell this is some of them images if you look closely at what is on her wrists and ankles.  The glow bands have light all around them so therefore the light source will be quite think, as proven in the images.
The main difference between John Spence's images and these are that the light source was one LED light on John Spence's images but here are round glow bands.
I think the glow bands are still quite effective and it is what I originally though of using but then I wanted to fins some sort of way to use LED lights. The two images above were taken with an exposure of 8seconds, this can happen with the lights because he is using strobes as well.  I do not plan to use strobes so therefore would probably not be able to have any longer than 6 seconds or the image will be too bright.

Hopefully I can find a LED light source and try out some images like these just without the strobe lighting and just the light painting, I think its very effective with pole dancing as they do not actually hold the lights themselves and are able to create nice wiggly shapes in the air around the pole.  I will try to find the light source and try it out on the first shoot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment