Saturday 16 February 2013

Photographer : Jason Skinner : Dreamtime

I was searching through Flickr for long exposed dance photography when I came across these Images.  There was only two images together as a set called 'Dreamtime' (the top two).  The very top image is a screenshot from Flickr with a description underneath, and with the photographer and his website.

These photographs are long exposure photos from the end of Dreamtime by the world-renowned choreographer Elisa Monte as performed by 'The Las Vegas Contemporary Dance Theatre'.
Dreamtime is based on the aboriginal Australian belief that spirits can leave bodies at night moving in predestined ways.

The photographer is called Jason James Skinner, here is his website: www.jskinnerphoto.com
Because of the description of what the dance is about, it lets me understand why the photos have been taken the way they have.  The aboriginal Australian belief, being that the sprit can leave bodies at night is quite obvious in the first two images.  They show one dancer centre stage with her own movements being captured through the long exposure around her.  The movements signify the spirit leaving her body and her stood there show how the sprit is leaving.  For this to be what the dance is about, I think these photographers by Skinner, work really well. The lighting used on stage is quite bright but these are exposed correctly, to keep the background dark but a long enough exposure to see the movements clearly.  As much as photographing the dancers in a stage show is great, I would still like to bring the dancer to a studio and work with the movements in that space. 

 The two images below are from the same dreamtime stage show but were not on the Flickr site that I found the top images.  I found these on Jason Skinner's website.  I thought they looked just as good, because they still are showing the similar concept of the sprit and the body but just on a red background.  I do think that it looks good on red but probably more effective with the movements and long exposure on the black.
It exactly on my route to long exposures, they look great and I can also look back to see if my images show a similar way like the sprit exiting the body - it is in connection with the body and mind so would be a great idea to use within my finals.



3 comments:

  1. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks Architecture Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here... editorial fashion photographers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Wedding Planners

    ReplyDelete