Tuesday 12 February 2013

Metamorphose - Nude Dance Exposures

So whilst researching images for long exposure dance photography, I came across a short series of images on Flickr.  I search through Flickr sometimes as there is just such a huge variety of work on there, that you usually find examples of what the idea is, and in my case, I found a few.

Denotation; What I can see from the series is a single dancer in each image, moving around in a wooded location, the dancer is blurred due to the long exposure.  Connotation; I think that the feelings from the images are supposed to be dreamlike as if they were hidden creatures in the forest or something, I get a sense of mystery amount them.  I like; the way that the exposures have worked outside and in daylight, I think that it would be something that would take me a while to get right, but I also like how the long exposures means you can see through them to the trees behind, as I think it's a nice effect.  Audience; I would think that the audience for this series is adult, purely because of the dancers being nude, but on the other hand the audience could be lowered as the fact the dancers are nude is not obvious due to the long exposures and not seeing anything but a blur.

^^^^ As written above underneath this image; these images are un-manipulated time exposures, meaning that, it is exactly the way the image turned out after the exposure.  It also tells us the time exposure of these images were between 4 seconds and one minute.  This is handy for me, because in a similar lighting situation, I could use this exposure as a starting point and then work from there, the only difference would be that I would like to be inside a studio. The photographer says how;
"the moving body takes on new forms and the expressions of movement transform the imagery, leaving the world of easily recognised forms behind the multiplicity and impossibility of deformed bodies.  It invades the at once sublime and latently fearful nature".
As I mentioned how I think the images are quite dreamlike, the photographer mentions too how the movements take the shapes of dreams that are partially remembered.  The photographer also says, which I think is really nice and relevant to the imagery;
"the traces of time is left unchanging yet forever changed, it is with this hope that I leave these images here to be glanced upon and glazed into like a looking glass, into another form of time".   
I really like what this last quote reads as it is in link to the connections of the body and mind, "another form of time" is very interesting as the long exposed images show a time within time.  This could all seem confusing but I find it kind of fascinating.  Her titles for the images show what is being seen by what the dancer looks like after the exposure.
I like how they are mysterious, in a secluded woodland area, it really makes you think about what the photographer says about traces of time being left unchangeing but yet changed forever.  I would like to link these statements into my work, and my final outcomes as it is similar to the reasons I am looking into slow motions and long exposures.

No comments:

Post a Comment