Saturday 16 February 2013

Dance Portraits & Motion

Whilst hunting the internet for more research and examples of Photographer's work similar to my ideas, I came across a photo page called 'Piccsy' which is similar to Pinterest and Tumblr.  This is literally a search place to find different photography images.  I came across a series of images that didn't have a named Photographer, as most of the images are just taken and reposted anyway, but I still thought they'd be good to show.

The image below top, shows the website that I found the set of images, with no named Photographer. They are a short series of five images that have a dance portrait next to a motion long exposed image of the same dancer completing a move.


I think that these look really nice, simple and sophisticated.
The dance portrait on the left hand sides of each image has the dancer sitting down in a studio against a black backdrop and the photographer has a shot from waist up.  The images have a nice shadowy dramatic lighting but the light itself is quite soft making the images look angelic and innocent.
The motion long exposure on the right hand sides of each of the images is a long exposure of each dancer completing a dance move.  You can see that each image is blurred in movements and can see how they have moved.  This is also shot on a black backdrop, and placed next to the portrait.
I like this short series of images as they each show a dancer headshot, obviously as a dance portfolio image and have then got a long exposed images of them performing a move.  Its as if they each had to show a ballet move to prove themselves.  I like the colours used with each ballet dress and the lighting is good to show exactly what is needed to see.  They each show slight movements, so the exposure is not that long, probably only a couple of seconds. If I were to use different models/dancers within each of my images then I would consider this effect, the two images, still shot & motion shot, next to each other to form one image of that particular dancer. But I also think that if I chose to do a similar idea and show a still image of the dancer it would take away the fact of showing movements and motion, so I think i'll stick with a motion image on a black backdrop.  The rest of the images from this series are below:




No comments:

Post a Comment