Sunday 17 February 2013

Interesting Dance Motion

I thought I'd just do a short small post on how different moves can be really subtle but effective.  Dance is so varied but choosing certain images that have more motion over others is key for long exposures. These first two images clearly only have a small exposure time but still have creative outcomes. The left images is more blurred than the right images but still both have flowing movements.  The right image looks as if there has been a strobe light or a flash because the dancer has moved but still has a static shape.  With long exposures, you rarely see an outline of the dancer or their body parts, an if you do, its usually faint, slightly blurred or been a very short exposure time.  I might test out using a flash to still the dancer in position as well as show movements but I'll see what happens at first shoot.


This image below show a single person standing in a studio with a black backdrop.  I found this image on Flickr and it says it's jus one from a series about body movement but I did not see the others.  The image is shot on film, which is something I am not doing.  But as you can see, the subject has moved only once, but the exposure has captured the line motion movement.


I really like this last image below and find it quite interesting to the other because it is shot outside.  You can quite clearly tell that it has been shot at night time and under a lamppost.  The lamppost is the light source, so comes from above and this works really well to show the body movement by the subject.  The person has obviously ran towards the pole like lamppost and held on and swung his feet around it towards the camera.  The exposure has captured the moving of his legs swinging around the pole.  I think it looks really effective as the hands are in the same position so there is not a lot of movement from the hands, but the legs look so ghostly and invisible.  I like this image, as it has given me different ideas towards my final images.



No comments:

Post a Comment