Wednesday 16 January 2013

The 'Body' in Photography

I think that the body in Photography plays an important role for any genre that is including a person. The body has to be positioned to the way the photographer wants to show a certain perspective.  The body can be many things, but when used in the right way in photography, it can be very beautiful. The body itself can be photographed in a countless number of ways, and the different parts of the body can be shown from different angles and compositions to show very unique ways of seeing the body.

Obviously the 'body' in photography has a huge link to Nude photography and it is a perfect way of showing the body, but this is something I have briefly looked at in a previous post about Klaus Kampert (click his name for website), and is also something I will talk about in a later post that will be about the history of the Nude. To start, I would just like to focus in on 'body' photography as it has always fascinated me.  Here below are some images I have found whilst browsing for just body photography.  It is interesting to see how each photographer has used different creative ways to express their way of seeing the body.


Most images of the body make me want to explore photographing it even more. When I worked with my model for my nudes that I shot, I really was working to see how lighting would hit different parts of the body and how sections of the body looked in certain ways.
Lighting plays a major part in body photography, it depends on whether the photographer wants to see everything or to hide sections with shadowing. Showing the body shot on a plain black or white background is the most common and effective way way of showing body part close ups. It is the easiest way to block everything else out apart from the main focus.
Compositions & Posing of the models is also important when it comes to the body and it is very interesting how in certain lighting, the body can look like something different and in some cases can almost confuse the viewer as to what part of the body it is.  But it really comes down to testing it out in the lighting conditions you want and seeing how different positions can work.

I used natural lighting when I have worked with the body previously and I like this effect especially with nudes, but using artificial lighting can also work really well and is something I will try out with the body in the near future.  If I were to choose my favourites from the images above I would definitely say the first colour image because the shape of her back is beautiful and the shadow where her spine is really define's the shape, lighting is simple but the colours are really soft, but in contrast to this, I also like the black and white image of the back with the shoulder blade sticking out, as it it really makes you wonder about the different shapes we can create with out bodies and the fact that the greyness blends together and that to be it almost doesn't look human.

As far as my research goes into the subject for this module, I will be working with the body and how the body moves, this can be portrayed in photography beautifully and most definitely in nude. Working from the body first will give me a lot of inspiration in to how I will shoot my models in a creative way. I have decided against nude and have been looking into how the body moves with dance and have found many interesting images to share within my research. Later blog posts will include how dance plays a great part in body shape and body lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment