Sunday 20 January 2013

First Proposal


Print Name:  SUZI RAE SLOUGH

Blog URL:  suzi-rae.blogspot.co.uk

Provisional Working Title:  Dance Portraits

For this assignment being my Major Project in my final year I knew I wanted to carry on a genre and subject than I have always been interested in. I would ideally like to be working into fashion/portrait photography in the future and would like to work towards it but for this to happen I need a lot more practice of location lighting to get my technical skill to the right place it needs to be.  My original idea came from a series of images that I created in my first year but did not submit to any assignments, which are my black and white location nude portraits.  I used natural lighting for these and they worked really well.  Because these worked really well I have had many projects come to mind to extend on these, I have always had a fascination with the human body and working with the different shapes than it can make.  Nude photography has always interested me, and even more so after I had done this series.  I first started looking into nude photography for this assignment but my ideas all changed once I decided to mix in a similar idea to my mixed media assignment to make it a little easier for me.  For my mixed media assignment I started looking at movement and dance to create a short photographic film and it started me looking at dance portraits and from this research I have decided to go down a fashion, location, dance portrait route to create a series that shows elegance and maybe movement.

I have researched into the body and how the different shapes of the body can be photographed and this has really interested me, I think dance is the perfect way of showing how the body can be captured in different ways.  I think ballet is the most elegant form of dance and can be very beautiful in a photograph but any contemporary dance can show a great form of movements and shapes whilst in the air.  The first photographer that really interested me was Klaus Kampert who has a huge selection of series on Nude photography and looking at his stunning images some of the images are hard to believe that it is a body, which I think is fascinating. When I was originally working with nude this was the standard I would be aiming for but I now have been looking at many different photographers and their dance portraits and it has sparked of ideas on how I can make them interesting and my own. 

One other idea that came to my mind also links the dance theme and location dance portraiture but including my brief from professional practice which is Elements.  The four elements of Fire, Water, Earth and Air can be included into my emotive dance portraits in a way using location to determine which element it is, i.e. a dancer in position in a river or stream to signify ‘Water’ or a dancer on a cliff top with a material blowing in the wind to signify ‘Air’.  I would still use the same ideas and techniques to create a dance image but include a subtle hit of each element within the image.  This would challenge me to use props and experiment with the movements to a theme.

What fascinates me the most is how the mind works whilst dancing and the movements we can make with our bodies.  One of my most recent ideas for my series of dance portraits is working with movement and blur.  This is something that I have only worked with a couple of times but I have taken a few images of blurred people and they really make you intrigued and leave you thinking about the emotion of the person.  I propose to link the mind with my dance portraits and within my research to show an emotive dance location portrait. 

The movements and blur within dance can be very effective and will be a challenge to show emotions and body shapes.  It makes dance portraits more interesting and keeps a viewer intrigued, especially if there is a story behind the dancer that can show the emotion they receive whilst dancing.  This is now what I would like to propose as my final idea but I will also try to produce some still dance location portraiture that also show elegance and emotion.


Identify the RESOURCES you will require to undertake the project.

The resources I will require are my Nikon D80 and a location lighting kit.  I have some lights, softboxes, reflectors, umbrellas and trigger at home and all I need is a battery pack so that I will be able to use my kit on location.  I will also require some model release forms for every model I will use.  I may require a Canon 5.50D from the University so that I can film the movements to help me in choosing a still image.  Resources such as books, journals, articles and short films, I can get from the University Library or another Library. 


BIBLIOGRAPHY / INFLUENCES:

My main influences towards the original idea of nude photography is photographer Klaus Kampert, whose work I love to look at but my main inspiration for the dance portraits comes from a photographer called Ella Ruth, I look at her work a lot and really admire the style she has throughout her fashion and dance work.  Lois Greenfield is a very professional dance photographer and had stunning and brilliantly captured dance images in big studios. Bill Wadman is also an inspiration of mine for this idea, after seeing him dance portraits it has made me want to work with movement even more. Here below is a small bibliography of some websites that I have used for research and have used for my blog.  I will have a lot more and a more in depth and strong bibliography by the end of this assignment, as I really am interested in this topic and genre.

http://www.bertil.co.uk/naturally

- The Body in Movement: Degas, Dance and Photography, Degas Symposium

OUTPUT / ARTIFACT:

The output of this assignment will leave me with more location lighting experience and techniques that I will be able to use in all-future projects.   It will also give me a stronger portfolio of a style that will be recognisable to me. The artefact at the end of this assignment will be a final series of dance portraits aimed at 10-20 images to fit the brief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment